Yes, depression can be cured without drugs.
This depends on the level of depression. Mild to moderate depression can be cured without drugs but severe depression can be cured with drugs which are otherwise known as medication.
The drugs that you take for depression are mostly called antidepressants.
To cure depression without drugs these are things that you can do.
Can depression be cured without drugs?
Get a therapist: One of the best things that you can do to get rid of depression is to get a therapist. For mild to moderate depression, a therapist can help you get back on track, using several techniques that are guaranteed to help you get off it including the golden CBT(cognitive-based therapy) technique. Mildstrings offers therapy for mild depression to severe depression.
Exercise; Depression is associated with cortisol(the hormone that sends out stress signals to the brain). Exercise helps reduce stress. Exercising helps to release the feel-good signals (endorphins) that can give you a high after a workout session. Exercise also helps to take your mind off depressing thoughts.
Exercise can lift your mood and helps you start the day on a positive note. It gives you a great outlook for the remainder of the day whilst giving you that feeling of accomplishment that you have achieved something for the day.
Improved nutrition; It is widely known that different foods contain different nutrients. In regards to depression, some vitamins and nutrients are found in certain kinds of food that help with depression.
- Selenium; it has been found that selenium helps decrease anxiety and helps with a better mood. It is found in whole grains, seafood, and organ meat like liver.
- Vitamin D which is also gotten via the sun can also be found in foods like oily fish and egg
- Omega 3 fatty acids also help in conquering depression and it is found in foods like cold water fish, like salmon, tuna, and mackerel. It is also found in flax seeds and their oil. It is also found in Walnuts.
- Antioxidants also help with boosting one’s well-being. It is found in berries, soy, fresh fruits and fresh vegetables.
- Vitamin B12 and B9 also known as folic acid helps with maintaining the nervous system. They are found in eggs, meat, poultry, fish, oyster, beans, dark leafy vegetables
- Zinc helps antioxidants work more effectively and grey is found in nuts and pumpkins and beans and oysters.
Some foods that you should avoid when you are trying to fight depression are alcohol, processed oil, refined foods, and caffeine. They have been found to contribute to depression.
Mindfulness techniques; The mind is a world on its own. To deal with depression you need to mind the direction of your thoughts. Depression is a result of a series of negative thoughts that have accumulated into a negative mindset. You must be mindful of the thoughts that take root in your mind. You also have to start thinking positively, seeing the light around you rather than the darkness. You can also get into making positive affirmations about yourself and whatever you feel is making you feel negative. Doing this will help you go a long way in ridding depression
Support from friends or groups; You can go out more or interact more with family when you feel depressed. One of the best ways to deal with depression is this; you can also join organizations and get involved in new activities. You can also pick up a new skill that will keep you busy.
Adequate sleep: Not sleeping well can lead you to depression. An adult needs to get 7-8 hours of sleep per day. It helps to refresh the brain and make you rejuvenated generally.
Can depression be without medicine?
Depression cannot be cured but the effect can be minimized to the barest minimum without medicine and with therapy.
Can depression be treated without drugs?
Yes, for mild depression, it can be treated without drugs. For severe depression, it has to be treated with drugs.
Can mild depression be treated without medication?
Yes, mild to moderate depression can be treated without medication.
Can depression improve without medication?
Depression can improve without medication as far as the depression is mild. For severe depression, medication is needed.